Sunday, March 31, 2013

A letter from your Dad


To my beloved children,

Though I have yet to see your beautiful faces with my own eyes or hold you in my arms, I wanted you to know how much I have loved you and prayed for you every day for as long as I can remember. I know that although your mother and I have longed to have you with us, we both know that God has a plan for each of you and has already touched each of your lives with His love and that He will give you to us when the time is right. We take heart in this but at the same time we both have moments where we cannot help but be overwhelmed by a deep desire to already know each of you and see you every day. I find myself daydreaming about you, what you will look like, whose personality you will have more of (Heaven help me if all of you have your mother’s!), if you will you share my joy of sports or outdoors, about hearing your laughter filling our home, hunting or going to ball games with my son, walking my girl down the aisle, how I get to watch you all grow up to be mothers and fathers of your own one day. And most importantly how the Lord will one day use you for his kingdom. I cannot wait to see how each of you develops your own unique gifts and talents and how each of you will touch the people around you. I also pray that I never let a day go by that I don’t let any of you know how much I love and treasure you. That you never have any doubt that your father cares for you and loves you with all his heart. I know I will have my moments of frustration that I will say or do things that I instantly regret, but please know it will never be my intention to hurt you. I vow to protect you, to clothe you, feed you and soothe you when you are sad or sick. Most importantly, I promise to set the example of what a Godly husband and father should be. This I promise you all. Until all of this transpires, I will continue to wait patiently for you to explode suddenly into our lives and completely turn our world upside. I can’t wait for the sleepless nights, the dirty diapers and of course the daily messes made around the house (sorry you got an OCD neat freak dad). I can’t wait for the muddy feet, scraped knees, the yelling at you for picking on your siblings, Christmas morning chaos, seeing you harvest your first deer, making you do your homework, conversations around the dinner table, Sunday mornings scrambling to make it to church on time, shooting hoops or playing catch with you, holding your hand when a boy breaks your heart at school, Baptisms, shopping for dresses, teaching you to read, sharing our love for animals, watching you serve in youth groups, birthday parties, Easter egg hunts, food courts and mall walking with the girls, practices, games, Texans games we go home hoarse from, graduations, homecomings, proms, and weddings. You are all so loved, more than you can know, and before you have even arrived. You are the treasures of my heart. I believe that God delayed your arrival because he saw your parents in need of preparation for you. To be the best parents we could be so that you grow up in home that fills you with a love and a desire for Jesus, in a home that inspires you to go out into the world and do good for His kingdom. The changes He has made in our lives the last few years are beyond anything we could ever have dreamt. I know that the time is coming soon when I get to meet you because of the things He has put in place… but until then, know that your father loves you so very much. See you all very soon!!!

Love,

Your father – Travis

Easter, March 31, 2013

1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. Watching the Passion of the Christ, reading Kayla's letter and now yours. I'm a complete and total mess over here. A grateful kinda mess. We all know I'm not good with words but you know my heart. We are very blessed to have y'all in our life and family. Reading both y'alls letter makes me want to be a better mom. That's what I love about our friendship, God is at the center and we help each other along through the good, bad and straight up ugly.

    ReplyDelete