Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mama said if you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at all.

I don't know if you have noticed, and I don't mean to brag, but well, I am EXTREMELY talented at taking huge breaks in blogging.  It isn't that I don't have things to say, because if you know me, or if you don't, you probably know or have figured that there have been maybe 3 (and that is being generous) times in my life that I have not had anything to say about any subject.  Which actually brings me to the topic of this blog.

I have had a pretty eventful couple of weeks, I started my new job, IT IS AWESOME!  I ran a 10K race, fastest time I have ever had!  My best friend Tiff and I went to a women's retreat, God is good!  And I think we had every single person we have ever come into contact with over for dinner, which I'm a hostess at heart and love it.  Even though none of those things have anything even remotely in common, oddly enough have all had one theme that has been brought up in some form or another in them all, and that is watch your words.

I know you're thinking, DUH, watch your words, I learned that when I was 3.  BUT did you?  OK maybe you did, but I realized I haven't, I haven't at all.  I have talked about it, I have thought about it, I have read about it, my mama told me to do it, but I certainly ain't doin' it.  Literally in the last 3 weeks, I have been reminded in every single daily activity I have done.  You ever get that throw your hands up in the air and scream "I get it" feeling?  Well I did and I finally gave in and decided to try it.  Do you know how hard it is, to speak good things and not bad, to be deliberately thankful, and to want to say something nice sometimes?  Of course, this is probably something that comes naturally to you, and you are reading this thinking I'm a negative Nancy and need to get over myself.  But humor me and keep reading.  Sometimes for me I think that it is just plain ole easier to look at the situation and just be in it, not really happy or sad but just be in it.  It's hard work to be thankful in situations that you aren't to thrilled about...AND here is the kicker, actually mean it.  Its hard for me to want to be thankful to God when my plan doesn't match His.  Its hard to change my thinking to praise God for his timing that is more perfect then mine.  After all why do I want to be thankful when I'm not getting my way?    Well, I don't.  That's exactly why God has put it in my face every step I take.  I have had to be honest with myself, real honest, and in those un-thankful moments, stop myself dead in my tracks and reverse my thinking, I promise this is harder then it sounds, because it comes more natural to us to be negative and focus on the sickness, the house repair, the broken hair straightener (OK this happened, and let me tell you sister, its hard for the entire world to not focus on the fact that my hair straightener was broken, cause IT AIN'T PRETTY) instead of stopping and saying Thank you God, you have given me a healthy body to fight this, a home to live in that I am able to repair, and you have put hair on my head (even though, my hair isn't what I see in the Pantene commercials).

So, I resolve to be thankful in the small things, and be happy that every day I wake up, is one more day that I have life in this crazy world!

You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy. that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.  O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever.  Psalm 30:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment