Tuesday, January 1, 2013

I ain't eatin' black eyed peas this year!

  Well, here we are, a full year after I first shared our journey.  Another year with no baby, and lot less in the bank account, lol, you would think that should be going the other way, but that isn't how Nemecs do stuff.  2012 was an interesting year, it was my 29th year of life, Travis' 30th.  It started much like this one, full of hope, joy and excitement to see what the future would hold.  Little did we know what a rollercoaster it would be.   

It would be easy for us to look at this past year as a horrible year. I mean strange things happened to us. It all started with the spray nozzle.  That thing flew off our the faucet in our kitchen soaking everything, and requiring the whole sink to be replaced, Travis' Ford truck made its final hoorah, our washing machine flooded the entire downstairs, we had to replace the floors and insurance didn't cover it (thankful for new floors, thankful for new floors, just keep repeating it Kayla) we had two failed fertility treatments, I broke my tooth (...eating brown sugar from a spoon...ok I finally admitted how it happened, geez people stop making me feel guilty for secrets),  job changes, my car nearly made it last hoorah, it was down for 2 weeks (luckily it was revived, praise God), Travis blew out his ankle (just a side note, when he was walking out the door he jokingly said "hope I don't break my ankle, since you aren't coming to the game" to which I replied "don't speak that over yourself"  Moral: always listen to me), we replaced the washing machine to which the very next week the dryer nozzle broke off, leaving us turning the handle with pliers (and I refuse to replace a working dryer just because it doesn't have a nozzle, so come over borrow it all you want, but know it ain't pretty), I got food poisoning the day before vacation and nearly had to cancel, and last but not least our dog nearly died...or so we thought, and after a $500 dollar vet bill, we learned she was just nervous about something and the x-rays and test were totally unnecessary (awesome). 

  After actually typing that out I cant help but hysterically laugh,  I mean seriously, how does all that happen in one year?  Oh wait, it only happens to us.  Again, I understand why God gave us both a sense of humor, because we had to learn to laugh at stuff.  Because lets be honest, its all just stuff (well except the tooth, that is sort of needed, and our dog, we kind of love her).  Absolutely none of that stuff is life threatening, or made us lose sight of the most important thing in our lives, God.  Though at times I thought I lost sight of my sanity...

Now it wouldn't be fair to say that is was all horrible, 2012 was also a year for friendships, and solid ones!  We made so many UH-MAZING new friends, and strengthened our bonds with old ones.  I can't even begin to explain how thankful we are to have our friends in our lives, we love each of you so much!  We were also blessed to be able to take a trip to Cozumel, Maui (definitely strengthened the bond with The Lotts, they are pretty much stuck with us for life, we love the three of you sooo much), San Fransisco, and ended in New York.  Babies we LOVE were born, Tate (got to sit in the hospital for this sweet baby to come into the world), Naomi, and Dylan (can't believe you guys are almost 1, crazy).  We got a new truck, and we didn't have to buy a new SUV!  We met goals at work, in our personal lives, and we just plain ole grew up a little. I turned 30 (I'm trying to spin that to be positive, I originally had it in the negatives, lol)

I guess what all this is trying to say is 2012 for us was a trying year, a year that like I said could easily be looked at as not so much our finest hour.  However, today as I reflected back on the year, I was overcome by a since of joy.  Though the last year, wasn't always rosey and made for TV movie perfect, we were given so much favor and grace over our lives it is unreal.   We learned to be thankful for things we easily took for granted. Though there were many times when I looked up at God, crying for mercy, crying for a change, crying for an answered prayer or thought he wasn't showing up for me, the truth was He was there the whole time.  He was always with us, He showed up with the money when we needed it, He showed up with the perfect friend or family member to get us through certain spots, He showed up in BIG ways, but most importantly He showed up in our marriage, strengthening us and making our bond tighter then before. I can say, not everything happened that I wanted in 2012 but that doesn't mean that there wasn't a reason for it, or that it wasn't a great year. 

   So, today as I write about 2012, and think about 2013, I cant help but think why do we need the change of a minute to restart our thoughts and bring back that hope and excitement?  Why do we put so much pressure on a date?  What is it about New Years that revives us?  What is going to change over a night, we woke up in the same house we always wake up in, we ate the same cereal we always eat, and even showered in the same shower as yesterday (wellllllll, I mean that is if I would have showered OR changed out of pajamas today...hey I'm just being honest)  As I started thinking about 2013, I couldn't help but think what does a day matter?  So my goal for 2013 is to keep the joy, and thankfulness for all things, and stop pressuring myself about time, time frames, age, or schedules. I don't want to bank on the future to give me hope and joy, I want to live in the hope and joy I have at this very moment (even the joy of a snoring husband beside me) I want to focus on my marriage and my God.  I want to have so much hope, joy and excitement everyday that Jan. 1, 2014 will be just another day, not a new beginning, because we get that every morning!

So join Travis and I in praying these scriptures for a great 2013!

Lamentations 3:22-23  The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

Matthew 6: 33-34 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all theses things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Psalm 71:14 But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more.

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.

PS.  Oh and the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, last year we ate black eyed peas and cabbage for luck (well we see where that got us, lol), but this year we are relying on God!




No comments:

Post a Comment